The BBC paused its usual schedule to air tributes and news about him over the weekend.
The broadcaster received a record 100,000-plus complaints about this coverage, reports say.
complaints about its coverage of Prince Philip
The BBC received a record-breaking 110,994 complaints for its coverage of the death of Prince Philip, The Guardian reported Monday.
Following news that the Duke of Edinburgh had died last Friday, the BBC shelved its normal programming schedule in favor of special news bulletins and tributes.
His death sent shockwaves around the world,
but many Brits were upset that their favorite BBC TV and radio shows had been interrupted or postponed.
Instead of longstanding shows like “EastEnders” and “MasterChef,” the BBC broadcast news coverage about Philip. The arts-focused BBC Four was also taken off air.
The BBC did not immediately respond to SA TIMESs request for comment.
The UK’s other major TV channels, ITV and Channel 4, also adjusted their schedules after Philip’s death.
Coverage of his death is now the most-complained about subject in BBC history,
The Guardian said, leapfrogging the 63,000 complaints sent to the BBC in 2005 for
broadcasting “Jerry Springer: The Opera.”
One complaint seen by The Guardian read: “Why [not] just put it on one channel for
those that want to listen to that drivel and the rest of us can have a bit of music.”
Most of the complaints filed about Prince Philip focused on the overwhelming amount of
content, though 400 people also complained that Prince Andrew was featured in footage, The Guardian reported.
Andrew has been widely criticized for his friendship with the convicted sex offender Jeffrey
Epstein. Andrew has also been accused of sexual abuse by the Epstein accuser Virginia Giuffre, which he has denied.
In regards to Prince Philip, 233 people complained that BBC presenters weren’t dressed
respectfully enough and 116 people complained the BBC had made it too easy to complain about its work, The Guardian said.
The Guardian also reported over the weekend that the BBC had removed an online form used to process complaints about the coverage of Philip’s death after receiving a surge of them.
The BBC said it would include information about the number of complaints in its weekly report, to be published on April 15.
Prince Philip’s funeral is set to be held in Windsor on April 17.