President Cyril Ramaphosa on Thursday evening declares there was clear evidence of a resurgence of COVID-19 infections in parts of the country.
There was an urgent need to contain the rise in infections in the affected districts in the Eastern Cape and Western Cape.
Ramaphosa declares that PE had been declared a coronavirus hotspot due to the spike in infections in the metro during the past 14 days.
The president said additional restrictions would be put in place on movement, alcohol consumption, and gatherings.
He said this was in order to contain the spread of the virus, save lives, and lessen the impact on the province’s health services.
From Friday, NMB residents can expect an extended curfew from 10pm to 4am.
“This pandemic has already taken a heavy toll on our country,” the president said.
He also announced that a total of 800,872 people had tested positive for COVID-19 since the start of the outbreak in March.
Ramaphosa said 21,803 people had died from coronavirus in South Africa and around 92% had recovered from the virus.
This pandemic has already taken a heavy toll on our country.
In the first week of November, we were recording an average of 1,500 new cases a day.
By the last week of November, this had almost doubled to an average of around 2,900 new cases a day.
Yesterday, South Africa recorded over 4,400 new infections, the largest daily increase in infections since the middle of August.
The total number of hospital admissions is now over 5,800 nationally and is increasing.
Three weeks ago hospital admissions were 4,900.
There are three areas of the country that account for most of these new infections.
In the Eastern Cape and Western Cape there has been an increase in both reported COVID-19 deaths and excess deaths.
This must be a concern for every one of us.
There are a number of reasons for the rise in transmission.